-----------------------

This blogspot is a medium to share my thoughts and adventures apart from promoting my books. Below are the books which have been written or authored and published by myself.


"Berpetualang ke Aceh: Mencari Diri dan Erti".

ISBN 983-42031-0-1, Jun 2006


"Berpetualang ke Aceh: Membela Syiar yang Asal"

ISBN 983-42031-1-x, May 2007


"Berpetualang ke Aceh: Sirih Pulang ke Gagang?"

ISBN 978-983-42031-2-2, November 2007


It is interesting to note that while these books were written in Malay it has gained enough attention to merit being part of the collections of the American Library of Congress and National Library of Australia. Look here and here.


While the first three books were published by my own company, the fourth titled "Rumah Azan" was published in April 2009 by a company called Karnadya with the help of the Malaysian national literary body Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka. It features beautiful pictures along with stories behind selected mosques which could be related to the history of Islam and the Malays alongside the formation of the Malaysian nation. Look at the article A collaboration of old collegemates - the book "Rumah Azan".


My fifth book "Ahlul Bait (Family) of Rasulullah SAW and Malay Sultanates", an English translation and adaptation of the Malay book "Ahlul Bait (Keluarga) Rasulullah SAW dan Kesultanan Melayu" authored by Hj Muzaffar Mohamad and Tun Suzana Othman was published early 2010. Look here... My 5th book is out! Ahlul Bait (Family) of Rasulullah SAW and the Malay Sultanates... . For more information check out my Malay blogspot CATATAN SI MERAH SILU.



Like my fourth book "Rumah Azan", the sixth book "Kereta Api Menuju Destinasi" is also a coffee-table book which is published by the company Karnadya with the cooperation of Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka (the main Malay literary body in Malaysia). Coming out January 2011 it features pictures and stories on the adventure travelling by train to all of Peninsular Malaysia along with the interesting places which could be reached this way.


My seventh book "Jejak keluarga Yakin : Satu sketsa sejarah" in turn is a coffee-table book which is written, editted, designed and has pictures taken by me. Coming out of the factory October 2011, this book which combines family history with history of places such as Singapura, Johor, Batu Pahat, Muar and in fact the history of the island of Java and England has been reviewed with me interviewed live in the program Selamat Pagi Malaysia at RTM1. Look at the article Siaran langsung ulasan buku "Jejak keluarga Yakin : Satu sketsa sejarah" dan temu ramah di Selamat Pagi Malaysia. Some selected contents have been featured in Sneak peek "Jejak keluarga Yakin : Satu sketsa sejarah".


-----------------------


The "Berpetualang ke Aceh" series of novels could be obtained in e-book form. Enter http://www.e-sentral.com/, click general novel and go to page 4. You can also type the word "Aceh" at the search box. Or click straight Book 1, Book 2 and Book 3.


Saturday, February 23, 2008

The megalithic stones of Pengkalan Kempas

OK, let me start this story by venting out a bit of frustration. I was supposed to start this piece last night at my favourite Cyber-Cafe in Kajang when my pen-drive was attacked by virus. The computer I was using went through some trouble and I switched to another one only to see more serious problems popping up.
Realising that any attempt to make new updates on my blogspots were then futile, I just hoped that something could be done to at least cure the virus affecting my pen-drive which contains some 1,000 pictures taken on travels made over the last 2 months or so. That is mainly the one covering the 8 main districts (or 9 if you consider Tangkak a full district) of Johor and then another up north covering parts of Kedah and Perak.
The person in-charge of the CC assured me that he could sweep away the virus using the main computer at the counter. What's sure it managed to detect the virus where-else the computer I last used that night couldn't. But his computer could only recognised the threat but not cure it. The best it could do was move the affected files to a vault which the guy did.
The problem is, the next thing I know, the main folders marked "Johor" (containing the Johor pictures of course), "Kedah" and "Perak" were gone. A check using the anti-virus programme shows all the pictures are still inside the pen-drive but just couldn't recalled, what more to be viewed and used! The guy just smiled. He said, he does have the software to recover the files but it was at home. So he told me to come again the next day (today) . I asked what time, he said 7pm and above, his working hours.
Now, I actuallly planned to spend only one night in Kajang (which is last night) before returning to Kuala Lumpur. But what happened forced me to spend a night more here as I couldn't return late to my auntie's place in Ampang where I'm currently staying at, officially that is... And so today in the afternoon, I walked some 2km to the town centre to get to the CC... I went on the Net and waited till past 7pm only to find out the guy is on leave today? What? I almost lost my temper!
I've got 1,000 pictures taken on my travelling which needs recovering and I need to make some postings as soon as possible. Now this guy stood me up? I nearly lost my temper and almost kick the furnitures at the CC... Luckily my better judgement kicked in and I decided to walk away.
Anyway, I managed to solve the problem at another shop but it cost me RM20...
Never mind, what's done is done... What's important is the pictures are safe. So continuing from the article Tangkak, the textile town! (not Views from on top of Muar town... ya as chronologically, Tangkak came later)...
I left Tangkak via Melaka and made a snap decision to go to Pengkalan Kampas near Linggi, Negeri Sembilan... Here's a certain place I've never visited before but should have done long ago due to its high historical value.
Since I'm still slightly fuming over the fact that I nearly lost my 1,000 pictures to a computer virus problem plus the CC guys mistake (it would have been easier to recover if he hadn't moved the affected files which are actually folders), sometime I feel I could tell the story just fine, sometimes I feel not in the mood. So let me just copy and paste something from the Net to introduce the subject...
Anyone with a fetish for monoliths and ancient graves, Pengkalan Kempas is the place to head for.
It's a little place just 60km away from Melaka with a small, predominantly Chinese population of 1000people. A town that can be easily mistaken for a lay-by with a total of 26 shops of which only 10 are still operating, a small primary school, an abandoned petrol station, a government health centre and a police station make up the structure of the town. Set just a short distance away on an oil palm plantation, is a little known place called the Pengkalan Kempas Historical Complex. Within the vicinity is a large grave purportedly the final resting place of Sheikh Ahmad Majnum, a holy man who came to Melaka in the 14th century. Sheikh Ahmad was slain during a battle with Sultan Mansor Shah's army. (Sultan Mansor Shah reigned over Melaka from 1457 to 1477). Sheikh Ahmad was buried here in 1467 and his grave is reported to be the oldest known Muslim grave in Malaysia.
There are a number of megalithic stones strewn around the area. Some fully carved and others left unfinished. 3 strangely shaped stones were named "rudder", "spoon" and "sword" by the locals attributing to their shapes and are believed to be carved during the 2nd or 3rd century. Some of them have Arab and Sumatran scripts carved onto them but there is no evidence that the inscriptions were chiselled onto the stones later. The locals believe that these stones have special powers, which allow them to grow.
A headstone-like structure with a hole in the middle is believed to have been an ancient form of 'lie-detector'. The accused would put his arm through the hole and each time false answers to questions were given, the hole would constrict, tightening round the arm until the truth was told!

Now that this is done, I could get on to my own visit there using minimum words ya... Come!

The signboard showing the way to the complex...


The complex...


The information board here says the complex houses the tomb of a certain Syeikh Ahmad Majnun said to have lived sometime in the 15th century... And besides it are a few megalithic stones...


The complex' main building...


Inside is the tomb of Syeikh Ahmad Majnun...


Some of the megalithic stones...


One stone, if not mistaken known as "batu bintang" or the star stone. No prize for guessing why...


The more attractive ones especially one known as the sword stone on the right...



Inscribed on it are the Arabic spelling for Allah, the name of God!


The stone with a hole said to be some sort of ancient "lie detector"... It is situated at the head of Syeikh Ahmad Majnun's tomb...


A look after turning 90 degrees...


Another 90 degrees...


A further 90 degrees...


A hut where one can conduct prayers and rest...


On its side is a smaller hut...


A smaller hut housing one singular meghalitic stone...


When I passed the hut where one can rest, I saw these 2 guys taking a nap... Soon enough they woke up and we got to know each other... They then showed me 2 interesting places... In fact they sent me by bike to the small town of Linggi some 5km away where it should be easier to get a bus to Seremban. Once in Seremban, it's very easy to get back to Kuala Lumpur where I've set an appointment to met someone the next day, a Wednesday...

When I had problems getting a bus to Seremban from Linggi, they sent me to Rantau some 20km further. They even waited at the bus -stop to make sure I got a ride. Otherwise, they intend to sent me to Seremban which is another 20km away. Thank you guys...

Sorry, I couldn't elaborate more on the megalithic stones and the tomb of Syeikh Ahmad Majnun. As I've said earlier, nearly losing 1,000 hard-earned pictures does affect my mood. So I just want to get this done as soon as possible ya...

Afterwards I will do stories on the 2 places visited as shown by these guys near Linggi. Have a look at the blogspot SENI LAMA MELAYU (MALAY OLDEN ART) later. Cheers! :]



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

salamssss .. .. ermp, pada gambar kelapan yang ada 'batu pedang' tu .. .. sy perhatikan ketiga tiganya bagaikan hulu senjata keris dan pedang yang mana keris dan pedangnya terbenam ke dasar tanah .. .. betapa kagum, insaf dan syukurnya sy kerana berkesempatan untuk melihat pusaka alam kurniaan Sang Pencipta ini .. ..

rusli said...

salam sahabat.
tahu kah sahabat siapa sebenarnya sheikh ahmad majnun ini? di mana boleh saya dptkan maklumat tentang beliau. saya terbaca, beliau terbunuh semasa bertempur dgn askar sultan mansur shah. yg perlu di renungkan...sheikh ahmad majnun seorg ulamak sementara sultan mansur pula seorg pelajar tasawuf....apakah ada conflict dimana2 dan yg mcmana?