-----------------------

This blogspot is a medium to share my thoughts and adventures apart from promoting my books. Below are the books which have been written or authored and published by myself.


"Berpetualang ke Aceh: Mencari Diri dan Erti".

ISBN 983-42031-0-1, Jun 2006


"Berpetualang ke Aceh: Membela Syiar yang Asal"

ISBN 983-42031-1-x, May 2007


"Berpetualang ke Aceh: Sirih Pulang ke Gagang?"

ISBN 978-983-42031-2-2, November 2007


It is interesting to note that while these books were written in Malay it has gained enough attention to merit being part of the collections of the American Library of Congress and National Library of Australia. Look here and here.


While the first three books were published by my own company, the fourth titled "Rumah Azan" was published in April 2009 by a company called Karnadya with the help of the Malaysian national literary body Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka. It features beautiful pictures along with stories behind selected mosques which could be related to the history of Islam and the Malays alongside the formation of the Malaysian nation. Look at the article A collaboration of old collegemates - the book "Rumah Azan".


My fifth book "Ahlul Bait (Family) of Rasulullah SAW and Malay Sultanates", an English translation and adaptation of the Malay book "Ahlul Bait (Keluarga) Rasulullah SAW dan Kesultanan Melayu" authored by Hj Muzaffar Mohamad and Tun Suzana Othman was published early 2010. Look here... My 5th book is out! Ahlul Bait (Family) of Rasulullah SAW and the Malay Sultanates... . For more information check out my Malay blogspot CATATAN SI MERAH SILU.



Like my fourth book "Rumah Azan", the sixth book "Kereta Api Menuju Destinasi" is also a coffee-table book which is published by the company Karnadya with the cooperation of Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka (the main Malay literary body in Malaysia). Coming out January 2011 it features pictures and stories on the adventure travelling by train to all of Peninsular Malaysia along with the interesting places which could be reached this way.


My seventh book "Jejak keluarga Yakin : Satu sketsa sejarah" in turn is a coffee-table book which is written, editted, designed and has pictures taken by me. Coming out of the factory October 2011, this book which combines family history with history of places such as Singapura, Johor, Batu Pahat, Muar and in fact the history of the island of Java and England has been reviewed with me interviewed live in the program Selamat Pagi Malaysia at RTM1. Look at the article Siaran langsung ulasan buku "Jejak keluarga Yakin : Satu sketsa sejarah" dan temu ramah di Selamat Pagi Malaysia. Some selected contents have been featured in Sneak peek "Jejak keluarga Yakin : Satu sketsa sejarah".


-----------------------


The "Berpetualang ke Aceh" series of novels could be obtained in e-book form. Enter http://www.e-sentral.com/, click general novel and go to page 4. You can also type the word "Aceh" at the search box. Or click straight Book 1, Book 2 and Book 3.


Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The little 'hill' recently discovered in Kuala Selangor

The final piece for the current bout of 'idle January' stories...

Last Sunday, after a visit to a friend's house, me and family went up the hill of Bukit Melawati in Kuala Selangor. It was almost dusk and I just wanted to enjoy the view. I was admiring the scenery of the river Selangor opening into the Straits of Melaka when I felt like looking more to the right to see (yet again...) how the smaller hill called Bukit Keramat (if I recall correctly) blend into the surroundings.

Look at the article Kota (Fort of) Tanjung Keramat in the blogspot SENI LAMA MELAYU (MALAY OLDEN ART). See how that hill looks quite big when you are looking up from its foot. Notice the growth on the left centre of the picture above. That's the hill I'm talking about. That's how it looks from the much bigger and higher Bukit Melawati.





You see I have this habit of comparing actual landscape to what's seen on the maps, making comparisons of places from different angles and viewpoints to see how it all adds up. Mind you if I don't know there's a hill there I would have thought it is just the growths from a cluster of tall trees. On the other hand I noticed slightly right to the centre what seems like a small hill. Having seen such small hills before and mistaking it for trees that set me wondering how come I've never seen this hill before when the fact is I have been up Bukit Melawati studying the view around many many times apart from going around the area seen down there.


Astonishingly I saw the small hill again as I stepped back into the car. I don't how but I have unwittingly positioned the car in a way I could directly see it from inside. Notice the part enclosed by the contour of the growth and cannon?


Let me zoom in on that part. Taken from the same picture pay attention to how the hill fits into the closed area created by the growth and cannon. I'm sure you'll agree with me that if I were to park the car in any other way, just a slight turn of angle and such and the hill would have been obscured behind either the growth, the cannon or the wall. I take this as a sign to go down there and find the hill.


After going around comparing trees and buildings down there with the picture taken I at last found the hill. Well, it is not actually a hill but a tall and wide jungle tree situated within the compounds of a hotel. It was the heavy canopy on top that makes it looks like a small hill from afar.




Then again it is an astounding majestic tree. I couldn't catch it with all its natural splendour on camera when it was already dark but I could tell you this... it is one of the most impressive tree I've seen my whole life. And being an avid jungle trekker with a hobby of climbing tall trees when I was younger, I've seen plenty of trees.

While it is not a hill at all there must be a reason I noticed it after some 2 years making regular visits to Kuala Selangor. There must be a story behind this tree, a story that would unfold in time. Otherwise how could I suddenly found a strong urge to look to the right when I was cosily enjoying the view of the Selangor river, an urge that would lead to the discovery of the 'hill'? And when I noticed it, how could I have parked the car in such a way that it could directly be seen from inside when the objects in front could have easily obscured the view? How could the 'hill' appear inside a box or inset created by natural objects? What are the chances of anyone parking a car, noticing an object later and find it directly visible from inside the car with such a small margin of error? Hmm...


No comments: